How does the use of a good framework accelerate and improve the quality of software development? Learn about the definition of a framework and the benefits for developers of using a framework for software development.
When we talk about the development of computer applications, namely web, mobile, or software applications, it is very common for the choice of the tool development technology to be a framework.
Definition of a framework as an IT development technology
A framework that can also be called an “application framework” corresponds to an assortment of structural software components which aims to define the skeleton of certain parts of a software or of the software as a whole.
As you can see, a framework is much more complete than a software library. Its characteristics generate performance:
- It provides a framework for developers: “cadre de travail” is also the literal French translation of framework. A framework is designed in such a way as to lay down a software architecture, which will guide developers and lead them to respect certain patterns.
- It provides a common core of generic libraries which are customizable according to the needs of the future software tool that will be developed.
A framework is a real toolbox for the developer. Thanks to the autonomous components made available to the framework, developments are facilitated and go much faster than when the developer codes with another technology.
The components offered by a framework have been designed to solve problems often encountered by developers in code. It is for this reason that developers prefer the use of frameworks because they are more efficient and faster to use.
Symfony, to name but one is a set of PHP components, which in addition to providing structuring components, offers a real application methodology. Symfony is positioned more as a conductor than as a simple set of libraries, this is what differentiates it from other frameworks and this is where it draws all its power.
What are the advantages of using a framework for your software?
The benefits of using a framework for improving the productivity of a team of developers are numerous and are felt from the start of the IT project.
- The speed of development: thanks to the framework provided by the framework, developers do not need, for example, to start from scratch to create the web application, and they know where to go because they are guided.
- A more robust architecture: by choosing a good framework, the architecture is well thought out and guarantees a site with good functioning.
- The components and libraries offered are reusable at will: modules, bundles, plugins, etc. The role of the framework is to encourage developers to reuse components and reuse code from other developers. Indeed, why reinvent the wheel if what I want to code already exists and works well?
- An active community with regular updates: when you opt to develop your website with the latest framework, you then have access to a large community of active contributors who regularly correct flaws or gaps in the framework. This point is very important when you want a robust application, with good quality code and easily maintainable over time. Developers enjoy programming on tools that are continually improved and maintained over time.
Some server-side web frameworks :
- Symfony (PHP)
- Ruby On Rails (Ruby)
- Django (Python)
Some client-side web frameworks :
- Semantic UI.
Discover our technologies: languages, frameworks on which we have teams of developers ready to serve you on your web projects. Do you want to know more about our technologies and our methods? Let’s talk quickly and see what we can do together.